In 1331 John, Bishop of Winchester, founded a chantry for five priests in the Thomas Becket Chapel in the south aisle. A 'good stone house' was built close by the Church to accommodate this College of Priests. In 1451 Henry V confirmed the privileges of the College and the Church became styled Collegiate. Within the forty years 1480-1520 the college was responsible for the complete rebuilding of a much larger chancel (including a new west window), nave (including the clerestory) tower and north porch.
William Shakespeare was buried in the chancel in 1616 and his gravestone lies alongside those of other members of his family.
The wonderful set of 26 carved misericord seats in the chancel date from this time. All manner of things, both sacred and secular are represented, from angels and mythical beasts to a man and woman fighting. In the bookshop there is a booklet giving details and photographs of all the misericords.