This medieval font was in all probability the font where William Shakespeare was baptised on 26th April 1564. It is an octagon and although broken, a series of quatrefoils can be seen on each of the surviving faces.
It was removed from the church, probably when the late renaissance font was erected (which is now in the Guild Chapel) and was found in the garden ofthe parish clerk, Thomas Paine who lived in Church Street and died in 1747. It remained there and was used as a water cistern until 1823 when Captain Saunders took this over. In 1861, it was purchased by Mr William Hunt who restored the font to the church.
In 1910 this was relined with lead and zinc and used for Christenings for several years.
The current font, which stands at the west end of the nave, is a copy of this medieval original.
The new font is a replica of the ancient bowl which was beyond repair.