The ringing peal is hung on ball bearings, on one level in a metal frame, and fitted with Hastings stays. There is no clock. The Ellacombe apparatus was disconnected after someone (we suspect a bored policeman stationed on the roof for the Shakespeare’s Birthday Celebrations) wound up a hammer unbeknownst to the ringers.
The seventh stopped dead and lost a small chip of metal from its rim! In 1994 an additional bell (4-2-18, hung dead and electrically chimed) was installed alongside the ringing peal to act as a Service and Sanctus bell. This was cast by Warners in 1881 and hung for full-circle ringing in the Town Cemetery chapel (now redundant). The Town Council was kind enough to donate it to the Church.