Becket Chapel Fabric
The Friends of Shakespeare’s Church commissioned a new golden curtain below the war memorial in the Becket Chapel, which was unveiled to the congregation and dedicated by the Vicar in November 2014.
The new curtain is a further step towards the restoration and enhancement of the church and renews Holy Trinity’s close connection with the internationally renowned textile designer Tibor Reich. The Canterbury design of the Becket fabric had previously been used for the High Altar.
Tibor Reich set up his design business at Clifford Mill in 1946 and his designs were used in a number of high profile projects including the refurbishment of the interior of the Royal Shakespeare Theatre and the passenger cabin of the Concorde aircraft.
The golden fabric in the Becket chapel comes from the Tibor archive of 20th Century design stored in Stratford and the Victoria and Albert Museum. Tibor’s grandson Sam Reich recently re-launched the famous brand and is now working with the Friends and the PCC to finalise a commission to use the same Canterbury fabric to replace the curtains at the three main entrance doors of the church.